How to get the non-profit residence in Spain

What is the non-profit residence permit?

Do you know how to get a non-profit residence in Spain? The non-profit residence is a type of permit that is designed for those foreigners who do not intend to carry out any type of economic activity, but who want to stay more than 90 days in Spain. In this case, it is only required that sufficient funds be demonstrated to cover the needs and expenses in Spain.

Which are the advantages of the non-profit residence?

  • Allows the applicant’s family members to also obtain their residency with the same application
  • The requirements are very simple so that the applicant will only have to demonstrate possession of approximately 30,000 euros in the bank account (an additional 7,200 euros for each added family member) and have private health insurance
  • Once the non-profit residence permit has been obtained, you will be able to travel freely throughout the Schengen area.
  • The non-profit residence can be easily renewed, and after 5 years in Spain you can get permanent residence




Which are the requirements?

  • Not be a citizen of a State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or a family member of citizens of these countries to whom the Union citizen regime applies.
  • Not be illegally in Spanish territory.
  • Lack of criminal records in Spain and in the countries where they have resided during the last five years, for crimes existing in the Spanish legal system.
  • Not being prohibited from entering Spain and not appearing as objectionable in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement to that effect.
  • Have the necessary economic means to cover the expenses of stay and return and, where appropriate, those of their relatives, in accordance with the following amounts:
  • For your monthly maintenance, 400% of the IPREM.
  • For the support of each of the family members, monthly, 100% of the IPREM.

Note: IPREM from 2023 will be about 600 euros per month, so you must prove that you have about 2,400 euros per month of economic resources during one year of validity of the non-profit residence, that is, you must prove that you have economic resources of around 30,000 euros.

On the other hand, for each additional family member, an additional 600 euros per month must be credited, which is an additional 7,200 euros annually.

  • Have public or private health insurance arranged with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain.
  • Not suffer from any of the diseases that may have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.
  • Not being, where appropriate, within the term of commitment of non-return to Spain that the foreigner has assumed when taking advantage of a voluntary return program.
  • Having paid the fee for processing the procedures.


Which is the required documentation for getting the permit?

  • Official duplicate residence visa application form, duly completed and signed by the foreigner, or their legal representative if they are a minor.
  • Passport or travel title, recognized as valid in Spain, with a minimum validity of one year.
  • Criminal record certificate or equivalent document, in case of being of criminal age, issued by the authorities of the country of origin or of the country or countries in which you have resided during the last five years.
  • Documentation accrediting having financial means for the period requested.
  • It may be accredited by any means of proof, including the contribution of title deeds, certified checks or credit cards accompanied by a bank certification that proves the amount available as credit on the card.
  • If the means come from shares or participations in Spanish, mixed or foreign companies, located in Spain, it will be accredited through certification of the same that the applicant does not carry out any work activity in them, also accompanying an affidavit from the foreigner in this regard. .
    • Documentation accrediting having health insurance.
    • Medical certificate.

Important note: all foreign documents must be sworn translated and duly apostilled.



Duration of the non-profit residence in Spain

The initial temporary residence authorization will last for one year and will begin on the date of entry into Spain. The renewal of the authorization will be valid for two years.


How long does the application process take? 

So, how to get a non-profit residence requires all this process, but finally, there are two distinct phases within the application process:

  • First of all, you have to send all the required documentation to the Spanish consulate located in the country of origin. A positive or negative response is received in 2 or 3 months.
  • If the answer is positive, you can travel to Spain with a non-profit visa and once you have entered Spain, you can register in any municipality and register your fingerprints in order to receive your residence card within 30 days.



Sobre el autor:

Binbin Zheng DiG AbogadosBinbin Zheng

DiG Abogados

Abogada China Desk

Related Posts

Call Now Button